Advice From the Professionals: My MOH Has Down Syndrome

     "I am getting married in October of this year. My sister, who has Down Syndrome, is my Maid of Honor. There is no one I would rather have beside me during my ceremony and she's been amazing through the wedding planning, but she won't be able to put my Bachelorette party together. What should I do?"
-Concerned Sister

    Congratulations on your engagement! What an amazing time to bond not only with your fiance but with your sister and other members of your wedding party as well! 

    Unless you already know the answer, I suggest talking with your sister first. Does she want to be a part of the planning process? Though she may not be able to plan the entire event by herself, she may have some amazing ideas already. Sisters tend to know and understand each other better than anyone else, and this could be an amazing opportunity for her to "take charge" so to speak, and help put together an unforgettable send-off party for you. 

    If she is uninterested or indifferent to this part of your wedding, then you could ask another member of your party, a friend, your aunt, mom, or anyone else you trust to take it on. 

    If she does want to have input in the event, you could potentially put together a "task force" and/or designate a specific planning partner for her. Your parents, wedding party, extended family, and/or close friends could help her follow through with her visions of the party while also making sure every aspect is covered. In order to avoid confusion of any kind, be sure that whoever is helping her can also follow through with the event. Having multiple people's input here and there can make any situation confusing, but with this particular circumstance, being organized will be more important than ever. Having a specific person your sister can talk to and to help work things out will make things easier for everyone, especially her. 

    Whatever happens, I hope your bachelorette party is an amazing time. Set aside your wedding planning stress and enjoy a great night with your best friends! 

   Happy Planning!

Comments

Popular Posts